What you will learn
APROCHING ART BY SOCIAL MEDIA.
The basic aspects are:
- General access for everyone to the information that social media and web sites offer.
- A different approach to teaching and learning processes using technologies.
- An alternative way to have access to Education for people who find it hard to learn through traditional methods.
You can decide to focus on an educational area as an example:
"Our art to the world".
Two basic aims are:
a) To analyze art through the social media from your own experience and fulfilling the following functions:
- Art for leisure and entertainment.
- Art as a way to express feelings and personal views.
- Art as a means of boosting self-esteem.
- Art as a tool to develop imagination and emotional intelligence to find solutions to abstract problems.
- Art for the aesthetic enjoyment of one’s own works of art.
b) To analyze art through the social media from a collective perspective. This involves:
- Sharing different points of view about a specific concept which could result in a cooperative project with other schools or organisms by means of social media sites.
- Promoting the knowledge of and the respect for cultural differences creating a common language which enables us to unite criteria among nations.
- Handling up-to-date information about our current cultural and educational period.
- Appreciating and enjoying the artistic initiatives of other groups and having access, through the social media, to the world’s human heritage regardless of its national or local origin.
How to use it in a classroom
In order to carry out this project, you can organize an art exhibition with paintings made by both students and teachers. It was held at some public premises at the Community Centre, where everybody could visit it.
Numerous visitors came round to see the exhibition, not only teachers, students and parents, but also local authorities, elderly people, children and all kinds of public.
The students organized their work in three major phases, two of which have already been completed:
1st PHASE: COMPILATION OF PHYSICAL DATA.
- Gathering information on the spot about the visitors, both visually and acoustically by means of the use of portable gadgets such as mobile phones, tablets… always with the previous consent of the people involved.
- Elaboration of questionnaires for different human profiles bearing in mind the aforementioned main aspects, that is, art as an individual experience and the collective function of art.
2nd PHASE: ORGANIZATION.
All the material organize in a coherent way and uploaded for its subsequent diffusion through the social media, taking into account the possibility of finding cooperation in other countries.
3rd PHASE: CEBIT.
This is a communications fair yet to be done. It will be a meeting point for different educational communities which will bring along and put in common their successes as well as the obstacles they have encountered. It will no doubt be a promising and enriching experience for the new generations.
HOW TO MAKE A YOUTUBE VIDEO IN 3 STEPS
Step 1. Recording a video
First, teachers can use a digital video camera, smartphone, tablet... to record video. Second, teachers will need a screencast software (Camtasia Studio, Screen Flow...)
Step 2. Editing youtube video
The aim is that teachers can get a digital file and editing. The digital video must be saved on your computer or device and it will be ready for uploading.
Step 3. Uploading your YouTube video
Teacher needs to upload the file from YouTube web after joining the channel, as it is in images bellow
Visit www.youtube.com and clic on the Upload button. It's top right.
Insert your email or create a new one
After signing, it displays the following screen
Now video can be uploaded. It's very easy.
Teachers and pupils can follow next steps for doing it.
If it was necessary, the instructions can be read on YouTube page. The "Help and suggestions" option explains all about it.
Finally, every school, class, teacher... can have a YouTube channel for disseminating experiences.
Further activities for teachers
- Social media sites have a practical function as regards education on any subject since they keep us informed about the latest news according to the user’s necessities and level.
- For many people, it is important to be able to record and verify their own performance so that others can appreciate and value it directly and without any intermediate agents. Social media sites allow this.
- The electronic gadgets we usually carry in our daily life (mobile phone, tablets, iphones…) allow us to improvise when compiling images or sound data for their later use in our subsequent projects.
- The diffusion online of this kind of events in which people show their talent, their knowledge or their discoveries generates a positive climate of global collaboration.